Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Hi

Hi. I am Missy. I am a writer, an occasional poet, a mother, a wife, and a mental health activist. I suffer from anxiety and depression but I do not let those feelings control me. I've worked hard to take myself from a deep fog of depression where I was tempted to cut my wrists to a place of peace. My goal with this blog is to help people understand how much mental illness hurts, and how it is not something to be ashamed of, but something to worry about. This was a goal I had back when I was in college by helping to start my college on a program called Active Minds which focuses on teaching young people about mental illness and trying to break the stigma around it.

I am not ashamed of my disease. My depression and anxiety are a strong part of how I grew up and while I am working on minimizing their effects, I think they have left their mark on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment